Dear Members of the Juan De Fuca Skating Club,
A new Societies Act came into force in November 2016 and all Societies must adopt new bylaws reflecting the changes. This past May the BC/YK Section updated its bylaws and now it is time for all Skating Clubs, including our Club, to do the same.
Our Club needs to vote to approve new bylaws at the AGM that will take place on April 22, 2018.
Overall, the new bylaws are now more detailed and comprehensive, while some aspects are simplified. Here are some key changes:
1. Expanded description of the relationship between the Club and Skate Canada and Section (see bylaw 2);
2. Age eligibility to become a voting member of the club is raised from 18 to 19 years of age (see bylaw 3.4); rights of Membership are added (see bylaw 3.15);
3. The AGM quorum is decreased from 15% to 3% (see bylaw 5.3); specific steps outlined in case of lack or loss of quorum (see bylaw 5.4 and 5.5);
4. Composition of the Board slightly changed from maximum 13 to 11 (and minimum 4) Directors (see bylaw 6.4);
5. Bylaw ‘Conflict of Interest’ is added along with proposed Club Conflict of Interest policy (see bylaw 7.8).
We are inviting you to review new club bylaws in entirety (below) and attend the AGM to cast your vote to help our Club to transition to the new bylaws. If you have any questions, please, feel free to email Natalia_morrison@shaw.ca.
Thank you and looking forward to seeing you at the AGM!